A Psychiatric emergency/crisis includes any of the following:
- Statements about wanting to die; engaging in talk or actions about activities which could result in serious harm or death
- Statements about wanting to seriously hurt or kill someone else
- Out of control behavior: explosive, aggressive behavior which cannot be controlled and/or refusal to follow rules which poses a safety concern, i.e. running away, destroying property, refusal to attend treatment program
Should a psychiatric emergency arise, your options include:
Call 911 when there is risk of imminent and serious harm to your child or someone else
- Take your child to the nearest emergency room, or call Police if they are making threats to hurt him/herself, making threats to hurt someone else or are displaying out of control behavior
- Contact county PESS - Psychiatric Evaluation Screening Services (see below)
PESS - Psychiatric Evaluation Screening Services
- 24-hour emergency mental health care, including risk assessments, screenings, crisis intervention and stabilization, psychiatric emergency services and access to mental health resources; mobile outreach also available
Somerset County Residents
Psychiatric Evaluation Screening Services (PESS)Bridgeway Rehabilitation Services
282 E. Main St., Somerville, NJ
Mobile response available
Morris County Residents
Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES)
Saint Clare’s Hospital
25 Pocono Rd., Denville, NJ
Ph: 973-6250280 (after hours hotline)
Psychiatric Emergency Services and Screening Center
Morristown Memorial Hosp.
Newton Medical Center
175 High St., Newton, NJ
Ph: 973-540-0100 (24-hour Crisis Line)
Family Crisis Intervention Unit (FCIU), Somerset County
Crisis intervention and stabilization for children and families; short-term counseling; link to services.
27 Warren, St., Somerville, NJ
Richard Hall Mental Health Center (RHMHC), Somerset County
Wide range of mental health services for individuals and families, provided on a sliding scale for Somerset county residents.
500 North Bridge St., Bridgewater, NJ
Family Intervention Services, Morris County
Family Crisis Intervention Unit, Family Outreach Program, CP&P contracted programs, Children’s Mobile Response and Stabilization Program, Child Outpatient Program (Medicaid Accepted and Fee for Service). Serves all families and youth who are Morris county residents.
20 Vanderhoof Ave., Rockaway, NJ
NJ Division of Child Protection and Permanency (DCPP)
All reports of child abuse and neglect must be reported to the State Central Registry (SCR), a 24 hour hotline; when a report indicates a child may be at risk, a representative from DCPP will promptly investigate the safety of the child.
Child Abuse Hotline - 1-877-NJ-ABUSE (1-877-652-2873)
Perform Care - 877-652-7624
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-TALK (8255) www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- NJ Teen Helpline - 1-888-222-2228 www.2ndfloor.org
- Caring Contact - 908-232-2880 www.caringcontact.org
- The Trevor Project - 1-866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386) www.thetrevorproject.org
- NJ Mental Health Cares - 1-866-202-4357 www.njmentalhealthcares.org
- NJ Addiction Services Hotline - 1-844-276-2777
- Quit Smoking 1-800-NJ-STOPS
In addition, the NJ Dept. of Children and Families has an extensive list of hotlines and helplines on their website - www.state.nj.us/dcf/families/hotlines
The Mental Health Association of NJ has decided to open up their Disaster Mental Health Helpline to assist for those feeling stressed, anxious or depressed due to COVID-19.
Please call (877)294- HELP(4357) for emotional support, guidance and mental health referrals as needed.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE - ASSESSMENT AND INTERVENTION RESOURCES
The following organizations provide comprehensive substance abuse treatment services for adolescents, including assessment and outpatient treatment:
540 Rt. 22 East, Bridgewater, NJ
1065 Rt. 22 West, Suite 3D, Bridgewater, NJ
High Focus Centers
3322 Rt. 22 West, Suite 14, Branchburg, NJ or 16 Commerce Drive, Cranford, NJ
Somerset Treatment Center
118 West End Ave., Somerville, NJ
Summit Behavioral Health
256 Columbia Tpk., Florham Park, NJ or 2780 Morris Ave., Union, NJ