1:1 Acceptable Usage Acknowledgement
Device Rules and Regulations:
Students and parents/guardians should be aware of the following rules and regulations. When using a district-owned device, students are responsible for the issued device and any violations of the rules and regulations will result in disciplinary action. Student use of technology must be school appropriate, support learning, as well as follow local, state, and federal laws.
Most tech-related behavior violations are equivalent to “traditional” classroom violations:
- Leaving your device at home is equivalent to leaving your textbook or school supplies at home
- Cutting and pasting without citing sources or putting it into your own words is equivalent to plagiarism
- Cyber-bullying is equivalent to bullying or harassment
- Damaging or defacing the device or accessories is equivalent to vandalism or property damage
- Sharing a recorded lesson or virtual classroom session is not permitted.
- Do not share logins or passwords
- Exception: students should share passwords with parents or guardians
- If there is any suspicion that someone besides the student or the student’s parents/guardians has access to the student’s account, please visit the WHRHS IT Department in the Media Center during lunch or after school
- Follow Acceptable Use Policy and Device Acknowledgement
Device Dos and Don'ts:
- The device is district property and all users must follow all district policies, agreements, rules and regulations
- The device is expected to be brought to school each day fully charged for classroom use
- The device should not be left unattended in a unsecured area for any period of time. Device should always be securely locked cabinet or locker when unattended. Do not leave the device in a vehicle.
- Students should not lend their device to another student or use another student’s device
- Cords and cables must be inserted carefully into the device to prevent damage
- Students are not permitted to apply or write any type of labels, decal, stickers to parts of the device’s surface. If such action occurs it will be viewed as intentional damage and therefore not covered by the Annual Chromebook Protection Plan. The student will be billed the cost of repair or replacement.
- Protect the device from extreme heat or cold, food and drinks, small children and pets
- Please report any devices that are damaged or improperly operating to the WHRHS IT Department by asking your teacher to create a Help Desk ticket.
- An official police report will be required in the case of theft.
- Carrying cases or bags are not provided by the district but it is recommended to carry the device in a type of backpack or bag that has a compartment for the device
- Protective cases are not provided by the district but one is recommended. If you decide to buy a protective case, please be sure to check the model and size of the device to make sure it will properly fit.
Student email is provided by the district and is therefore district property. Watchung Hills Regional High School reserves the right to archive, monitor and/or review all use of its email system, and users should not have any expectation of privacy in any electronic message created, sent or received on the District’s email system.
- All WHRHS students are provided a school email (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the start of the school year. The primary purpose of student Email is to safely communicate and collaborate on school activities with school staff and fellow students.
- Students are responsible for good behavior while using communication tools such as school Email. Students are prohibited to use personal email on their school issued device or to communicate with any faculty and staff members.
- Students will not use any communication tool to bully, harass, threaten, send viruses, hoaxes or non-school related email to other students or individuals.
- Students are responsible for messages sent from their accounts
- Do not give any personal information via email including telephone numbers, home addresses or passwords
- Students will report any unusual activities such as "spam" communications, obscene email, attempts by adults to lure them into dangerous behaviors to a teacher, guidance counselor, or school security
- School email should only be used to sign up for school related accounts and other collaborative or communication tools
- To develop 21st Century communication skills student devices are equipped with a webcam which can be used for educational purposes only under the direction of a teacher or parent/guardian
- Faculty and staff will not have access to the device’s webcam and will not have remote control when the device is off-campus
Watching Videos/Youtube and Listening to Music:
- Watching videos/YouTube and listening to music on the device is only allowed with permission from a teacher or parent/guardian for educational purposes only
- Online gaming is not allowed on the device unless you have been given permission by a teacher or parent/guardian. Any games must be in support of the district's educational program.
- Any images set as a device or browser background must be school appropriate. Inappropriate media may not be used as a device background; presence of guns, weapons, pornographic materials, inappropriate language, alcohol, drugs, or gang-related symbols will result in disciplinary action and/or loss of device privileges.