National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) is an organization that recognizes students who have “demonstrated outstanding performance in the areas of scholarship, community service, leadership and character.”
Students are selected for membership into the Watchung Hills Regional High School chapter of the National honor Society on the basis of having demonstrated excellence in four areas: scholarship, character, leadership, and service. Students who have met the minimum GPA requirements will be notified via email that they are eligible to apply for membership in the spring of their junior year or the fall of their senior year. Applications will be approved for membership by a majority vote of the faculty council.
Selection will be based on the following components of a student’s application:
- Have a combined GPA of at least 7.9050 (non-weighted GPA plus weighted GPA).
- Juniors must have taken at least 12 A, H, or AP classes (including those which are currently being taken as a junior.)
- Seniors must have taken at least 16 A, H, or AP classes (including those which are currently being taken as a senior.)
- Personal statement
- Any student found by the faculty or administration to be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct, and especially the Academic Integrity policy, may lose the ability to be a member of the National Honor Society.
- Personal statement
- Hold at least one school or community position of responsibility/leadership and efficiently perform duties as required.
- Recommendation letter
- Students must complete and submit documentation for 25 hours of community service. This service must be completed during the sophomore or junior year for junior applicants and from junior or senior year for senior applicants. (The NHS Community Service Log can be found here).
In the activities demonstrating character, leadership, and service, it must be evident that students have devoted some time to at least one school-based club or activity.
To maintain membership, students will be required to complete at least (10) ten hours of approved community service (ie. peer tutoring, fundraising for a cause, volunteering for school and community events) during their senior year.
Students will be notified of eligibility to apply for membership into the WHRHS Chapter of the National Honor Society via email in the Spring of their Junior year or the Fall of their Senior year.
NHS PEER TUTORING
Many National Honor Society students volunteer their time as peer tutors for classmates who are struggling or just need a little extra help in their classes. If you are interested in finding a peer tutor for any subject, please complete this form: NHS Peer Tutor Request Form. You are welcome to contact Demetra Chang (email@example.com) or Vincent Dai (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Please make sure to check the NHS Google Classroom for copies of all applicable forms including the NHS contract & community service log.
2017-2018 Schedule of Important Dates
- Mon 9/11 - 1st Meeting & Election Speeches - 2:25pm in Rm. 105
- Mon 10/23 - Induction Rehearsal (Speakers only!) - 2:25pm in room 401
- Tues 10/24 - Induction Rehearsal - 2:25pm in the PAC
- Thurs 10/26 - Induction Ceremony - meet at 5:45pm in the PAC
*All meetings are brief but mandatory. Please contact Mrs. Nunez (email@example.com) ASAP with any conflicts.
2017 - 2018 Officers
President - Julia Waldman
Vice President - Emery Jochnau
Secretary - Vincent Dai
Treasurer - Demetra Chang