Seal of Biliteracy
Watchung Hills High School participates in the NJ State Seal of Biliteracy Program. By achieving the Seal of Biliteracy, students demonstrate that they are able to speak, read, listen and write in two or more languages at an intermediate-mid level of proficiency.
The Seal of Biliteracy seeks to:
- Encourage students to study languages
- Certify attainment of biliteracy
- Provide employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills
- Provide universities with a method to recognize and award academic credit to applicants seeking admission
- Prepare students with 21st century skills
- Recognize and promote second language instruction in public schools
- Strengthen intergroup relationships, affirm the value of diversity, and honor the multiple cultures and language of a community
The Seal of Biliteracy indicates recognition of a minimum proficiency level attained by a student in at least one language in addition to English. The Seal of Biliteracy is not awarded based on seat time or course completion requirements, and it is not tied to credits. Attainment of the seal does not provide credits toward graduation and does not act in any way as full or partial fulfillment for a high school diploma.
Participation in the Seal of Biliteracy Program is voluntary and open to all juniors and seniors who wish to be tested in any of the following languages: ASL (American Sign Language), Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Latin, Russian, Spanish and ESL. Students do not have to be currently enrolled in a language program at WHRHS to sit for a proficiency test for the Seal of Biliteracy.
Students who are eligible for a Seal of Biliteracy will receive a certificate noting their name and language(s) of attainment from the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE). In addition, WHRHS transcripts will be annotated with the insignia "New Jersey State Seal of Biliteracy"
Watchung Hills Regional High School will abide by the eligibility requirements as posted on the NJ State Seal of Biliteracy website at http://www.state.nj.us/education/aps/cccs/wl/biliteracy/over.htm
We will honor this year's Seal of Biliteracy recipients with a ceremony on Tuesday, May 4 at 7 p.m. on our football field where we will recognize their achievement. The rain date is Thursday, May 6 at 7:00 p.m. Congratulations to all of our Seal of Biliteracy recipients.